The Daytona team needed 2 young boy puppets for a puppet skit that they wrote for their outreach in the Kekchi villages. My home church in Jax bought 10 beautiful puppets for us a couple years ago. I had picked out ones that I thought looked Guatemalan. Half were males, but what I didn't realize was that 3 had mustaches (plus one was a grandpa)... so they wouldn't pass as kids! I decided it would be easier to give one a haircut than a shave. So here is the girl puppet I started with:

It ended up being a little more complicated than just cutting hair, but I was very happy with the results. Just for the slim chance that anyone needs to know, these kind of puppets wear size 0-6M baby clothes. (Thank you to Jonah and Silas for sacrificing a pair of pants for this project!) Not sure what happened to his tan, but it's the same puppet, I promise:
We have been living in this house for 2 years without fixtures, just energy saver lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling. I didn't care. They were less offensive to me than the gaudy and pricy fixtures available around here.
Then... one day I had an idea. I had picked up 4 placemats in the States while thrift store shopping with my mom. I never planned on using them as placemats, I just liked the texture of the twigs. To make a light fixture I needed something to reinforce them. Knowing my dilemma, Jimmy came home one day with bicycle rims for me... he's so thoughtful!
So here they are. I had some leftover fabric from the curtains to cover the chain and wire.
Try to peel your eyes away from our


those light fixtures are cool!
ReplyDeleteLove them. You are so creative. I knew my saving things and making do would rub of in a good way! :-)
ReplyDeleteWow...they really do make a difference!
ReplyDeleteYou're so creative, what a great idea! Your ceiling is still better than mine (plain tin), so don't apologize. :D
ReplyDeleteVery clever, and now I will have to steal your idea for two naked fixtures I still have in our home.
ReplyDelete